ADSM-L

IRIX 6.2 client? and AIX schedule failing

1996-06-21 17:26:10
Subject: IRIX 6.2 client? and AIX schedule failing
From: Paul Hilchey <hilchey AT UCS.UBC DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 14:26:10 UTC-0700
> From: J Holdren <JFH5 AT PSUVM.PSU DOT EDU>
>
> 1)  Is there an ADSM client in the works for IRIX 6.2 ??  An official
> yes, no, maybe from IBM would be appriciated.

I've had no problems using the latest Irix client with Irix 6.2.  If
you have XFS filesystems, you definitely need the latest release,
though.  The earlier releases made the naive assumption that "." and
".." were the first two entries in a directory, which isn't always the
case with the B-trees that XFS uses for directories.

Something to note is that Irix 6.2 has some named pipes that are
not automatically created at boot time, and some device special files
that are not created by MAKEDEV.  This means that you want to copy
special files into, for example, a cpio archive that gets backed up so
that you can restore them after losing a system disk.  ADSM's deficiency
in not saving them is proving to be a major irritant.

____
Paul Hilchey
The University of British Columbia