ADSM-L

ADSM over WAN

1996-06-20 13:35:53
Subject: ADSM over WAN
From: Bryan King <bking AT ISM DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:35:53 +0100
I have ADSM on AIX using TCP/IP to backup an OS/2 client over
a 56k frame relay.  I am using the March release of the client.

I can ping, ftp, telnet from the OS/2 to AIX - not a problem.
I can ping, ftp from AIX to OS/2 - not a problem.
The response time is 35-43ms on a ping.

My problem:

When using ADSM to connect, it seems like it just goes into
nowhere land (GUI and CLI).  I do not recieve a password
request, nor do I recieve any indication that this is even
working.  I have also issued an iptrace at both ends, but
have not seen anything unusual - there is traffic, and I have
confirmed that port 1500 is being passed (I can see it coming
in on the AIX side).  In a "que session" at the ADSM console
I can see a session that has connected via TCP/IP, but
there is no nodename, nor is there a platform identified.  I
know that this is the remote OS/2 machine because of the
time I start/stop the program.  I have verified that the dsm.opt
file is correct.

My question then, is how much traffic must pass between a
client to the server before communication is established?
Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there anyone out there
attempting to do incrementals across 56k frame?