ADSM-L

Re. DASD for MVS server

1996-06-20 12:59:29
Subject: Re. DASD for MVS server
From: Sebastian Ragusa <sragusa AT TNE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 11:59:29 -0500
We're currently evaluating server backup products and are in the process of=
=20
installing and testing ADSM.

We plan to use our MVS 3090-600J as our backup server and backup our server=
=20
DASD to mainframe DASD and then offload the backups from DASD to tape using=
=20
3480 IDRC tape drives.
We're trying to determine how much space we need to allocate for the ADSM=20
database (this is where all the ADSM backup version stats are kept).  We've=
=20
heard that we need about 200 bytes for each file we backup.  At that rate,=20
to backup and keep 8 versions of 1,000,000 files, we will need approximatel=
y=20
1.6 GB for the database.  We'll also need another 1.6 GB to duplex the=20
database, as recommended.  Are my space calculations correct?  Do you reall=
y=20
need 200 bytes per backup or is this a worst case scenario number?
Lastly, our mainframe DASD is RAMAC 1 with a spare drawer configured for=20
each subsystem.  With this configuration is it still necessary to duplex th=
e=20
ADSM database?

TIA ...
Sebastian Ragusa   sragusa AT tne DOT com
Storage administration
TNE Information Services, 501 Boylston St, Boston, MA, 02116  USA
Voice: (617) 578-4216    Fax: (617) 578-5532