ADSM-L

Dasd for MVS server? -Reply

1996-06-19 13:26:11
Subject: Dasd for MVS server? -Reply
From: Jane Dagostino-Snyder <j-dago AT CAFE.TC.UMN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:26:11 -0600
Betty,   The answer is yes, you do not need to use DASD as your
Storage Pools.   You can use tape if DASD is in shortage.  I believe you
can even have different device types in your pool.   Say 3480 as your
arch pool and 3490 as backup. ect.   Save your DASD for the Data Base
and Recovery log VSAM linear datasets.    -- Jane

Jane Dagostino-Snyder
University of Minnesota
Storage Administration
(612)  624-4883

>>> Betty Simonis <BETTY_SIMONIS AT DSC.UMICH DOT EDU> 06/19/96
08:43am >>>
Hi,

I am new to this list (and ADSM) and will be installing version 2 on an
MVS server. I'm trying to get a handle on the minimum amount of dasd
that would be required to run ADSM to backup our aix and os/2 clients.
We have 3390 mod 2's, and not a whole lot of it to allocate to ADSM. So,
what I'm wondering is if I can define  storage pools for backup and
archives that would just go directly to tape. I have about 200gb to backup
from the clients, and only about 6gb of available disk space on the server
side. Most of the clients would not require immediate access to backed
up data. Any helpful hints or suggestions are most appreciated.

Thanks.

Betty Simonis
University of Michigan
Data Systems Center