ADSM-L

Re: Dasd for MVS server?

1996-06-19 11:50:42
Subject: Re: Dasd for MVS server?
From: Tom Bell <bell AT WAII DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:50:42 -0500
> I am new to this list (and ADSM) and will be installing version 2 on
> an MVS server. I'm trying to get a handle on the minimum amount of dasd
> that would be required to run ADSM to backup our aix and os/2 clients.
> We have 3390 mod 2's, and not a whole lot of it to allocate to ADSM. So,
> what I'm wondering is if I can define  storage pools for backup and
> archives that would just go directly to tape. I have about 200gb to backup
> from the clients, and only about 6gb of available disk space on the
> server side. Most of the clients would not require immediate access to
> backed up data. Any helpful hints or suggestions are most appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Betty Simonis
> University of Michigan
> Data Systems Center

We are in a similar situation with an AIX server.  We have the copy
destination for our default copy groups directed to our tape storage
pool (3590).  The only disk storage pool we have allocated is for space
management, where being blocked for tape access can really constipate
the system.  The only problem we run into is clients being hung in media
wait, sometimes for over an hour, because we only have two tape drives
in our library.

--
Tom Bell                                    tom.bell AT wg.waii DOT com
Tom Bell                                    tom.bell AT wg.waii DOT com