ADSM-L

Re: HP-UX Client crashes system

1996-06-19 07:42:15
Subject: Re: HP-UX Client crashes system
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:42:15 PDT
Bradley King says:

>I have a very repeatable and very serious error with the 1.21 ADSM client
>on a HP-UX 9.05 cluster.  Using dsm to do an incremental backup if I select
>disks which are part of the cluster but not on the machine running dsm.
>All I have to do is chose incremental backup and the entire cluster core
>dumps and crashes!  We have 20Gbytes of data and fsck for 10 large disks
>takes quite some time.  ANY user can do this manipulation if they have
>the password for a client on the cluster.   Is this bug documented?  Has
>anyone else had the same problem?  This is not the kind of bug that should
>exist in expensive backup software!

If you are running a version 1 client, you should upgrade to the latest level
of client service, which is currently at V2 R1 L0.4. It is available from our
FTP anonymous server, index.storsys.ibm.com.

If you suspect a problem with your filesystem, then maybe it would be worth-
while to run fsck.

After you upgrade, if the error still occurs I urge you to open a problem
up with IBM support. If there is indeed a bug in the software, we can not
fix it through this forum.

Thank you,

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support