ADSM-L

NetWare V4 Data Compression

1996-06-07 10:04:41
Subject: NetWare V4 Data Compression
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:04:41 -0400
Date:     June 7, 1996            Time:    08:03
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
We have had an interesting theoretical discussion going on here over the laser
We have had an interesting theoretical discussion going on here over the laser
printer (no longer the watercooler)....

NetWare V4.1 supports compressed data storage.  Initially, we suspected that
when ADSM backed up a V4.1 client, the data would be uncompressed by NetWare,
then ADSM would compress it before sending it to the server.  Now our NetWare
guy found some data that stated that "service programs" (my term - I mean task
s that are not signed on NetWare users) could retrieve data from a 4.1 machine
still in compressed format.  This would imply that ADSM could get the data
compressed already, and we would not have th eoverhead of decompression and
compression on the server.

Can someone tell us if this method is actually employed by ADSM?

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com

Any idiot can face a crisis.  It's the day to day stuff that really wears you
down.

                        Anton Chekov