ADSM-L

Re: Seperate Pools for Backup & Archive

1996-06-07 06:20:31
Subject: Re: Seperate Pools for Backup & Archive
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 12:20:31 +0200
Having one pool for both backup and archive should work; at least I don't
see any reason, why it should not.

However, some reasons for having separate pools:

 different safety requirements:
   The archive pools should have copy pools.

 different aging patterns:
   Since backup data age faster than archive data, mixing backup and archive
   data on the same tape will probably result in moving more data during
   space reclamation (or in the need for more tapes).

> Here's one for the collected wisdom of this list:
>
> Is there any reason or advantage for keeping backup and archived files
> in different storage pools?
>
> By default ADSM installation sets up a disk backup pool and a seperate
> archive pool. Can one pool be used for both? Is there a downside to
> doing it?

Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Universitaetsrechenzentrum, Einsteinstrasse 60, 48149 Muenster, Germany
E-Mail: mersch AT uni-muenster DOT de                   Phone: +49(251)83-2488