ADSM-L

Re: Moving files between ADSM clients

1996-05-31 10:50:00
Subject: Re: Moving files between ADSM clients
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 10:50:00 -0400
You are asking for ADSM to recognize two different kinds of deletes --
ordinary user deletes and administrator move/deletes.  I don't know of any
way for ADSM to tell the difference.

I have two suggestions.  First and simplest, change your copygroup
parameters so that 15 versions are kept for deleted files.  Each inactive
will be cleaned up as it ages.  This will take more ADSM database and
storage.  The second suggestion is to enhance the move process so that
there are no deletes.  Instead of deleting the souce file, replace it with
some short text such as:

 "This file has been moved to server XYZ and replaced by this text file to
act as a placeholder for the ADSM backup system.  This file file be deleted
on mm/dd/yyyy."

This method will let you run the ADSM server the way you are doing it now,
but it will cost some lanserver disk space.

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.