ADSM-L

adsm/novell client hang

1996-05-29 09:49:49
Subject: adsm/novell client hang
From: Diane Ashby <Diane.Ashby AT TORO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 09:49:49 -0400
We're noticing a peculiar problem with only 2 of our Novell clients: one test
and one production.  Right in the midst of communicating normally with each
other everything stops, producing no error messages in the activity log nor in
the dsmsched.log nor in the dsmerror.log.  For example (from the
dsmsched.log):
     05/20/1996 22:19:01  Executing scheduled command now.
     05/20/1996 22:19:03  Connecting to a NetWare File System (clientname).

Then nothing.  No more messages of any kind.  Noticing this the first time on
prod client 05, we attempted to unload ADSM, which hung the console; we had
to bring the server down hard that night.  The 2nd and 3rd times it occurred
with test client 98, and we didn't attempt an unload, not wanting to lose the
console; we just took down the client.  Now this morning, before noticing that
ADSM was in the same state, someone attempted to unload a different nlm on 05
and we have lost the console similar to the 1st occurrence on 05.

IBM support is as puzzled as we, and none of the info we've faxed them has led
to any ideas.  With the 3rd occurrence, on 98 last week, we put trace
statements in (of course) 98's option file but not yet in 05's, so we're no cl
oser to resolution than before.

Both clients are on NetWare 4.1 (no problem on our dozen or so other 4.1
clients), with ADSM client level v2r3m.3 and UNIX server level v2r1m3/.3.
It's quite possible (probable?) that ADSM is the victim here, but I welcome
debugging ideas since it disappears without a trace, and the problem occurs
only intermittently every week or so but not on the same day.  --Diane