ADSM-L

Re: Nwpwfile for Novell client

1996-05-28 15:28:15
Subject: Re: Nwpwfile for Novell client
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:28:15 PDT
Larry Abbinante asks:

>Has anyone had the problem of ADSM prompting for a Netware user and
>password even after NWPWfile has been coded (it's the default even) and
>a valid user and password has already been encrypted in a *.pwd file in
>the adsm directory?  This seems to happen when the server gets cycled
>for one reason or another, and when the backup kicks off, it will
>prompt for the id and password, but no one is there to reply to the
>prompt (at 0200 a.m.).   I remember posing this problem to level 2 and
>I don't think I ever got a good fix to the problem.
>Also,  user guide states that an id and password of 'supervisory'
>equivalence needs to be used.  I have supervisor equivalence (so I'm
>told) and when I answer the prompt with my id it says 'ANS4974e Login
>denied to NetWare target service agent 'servername''.  I can login
>normal to the server but ADSM won't accept my ID as valid?  Can anyone
>take this one....??  Thanks...

Hi Larry,

The reason the *.PWD file might not be working is for the same reason
you get the ANS4974E message when you manually enter the ID.

A few things to check:

1) The ID *must* be SUPERVISORY-equivalent. The reason I mention this
   is that "or so I'm told" qualifier you tacked on to your assertion
   that you already have SUPERVISORY equivalence. If you can log on
   normally with that ID, you can run SYSCON and verify that you are
   SUPERVISOR-equivalent.
2) The ID *must* be allowed a minimum of two concurrent connections.
   You might even consider setting the number of connections to something
   higher.
3) Verify that there are no time-of-day restrictions as to when that ID
   can and can not log on. I recommend that the ADSM ID not be restricted
   at all.
4) If this is NetWare 4.1 and you are trying to back up the NDS tree,
   the ID *must* have supervisory object rights to the highest level
   container that is to be backed up; for the entire NDS tree you must
   have supervisory object rights to ROOT.

Lastly, regarding Level 2 support: I am sorry to hear that you did not
receive a satisfactory answer. However, we can not close a call without
the permission of the customer. So if this call was closed before you
received a satisfactory answer (and before you granted permission) then
it should not have been closed. If these hints I provided do not resolve
the problem, then you are welcome to contact me. I will re-open your
problem record and see to it that there is a satisfactory resolution.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
408-256-0130