ADSM-L

Re: Some questions.

1996-05-28 05:24:18
Subject: Re: Some questions.
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <ohnielse AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 10:24:18 MET
Regarding ADSM's failure to make devices available under AIX:

To add to the statistics, we're also seeing this with the ADSM V2.1.0.7
server on AIX 4.1.4 after every reboot.  I have now removed the
"ghost-devices" from the system configuration, hoping that they may not
resurface at the next reboot.

In any case, the annoying fact is that when you add a tape device to
AIX and reboot, the AIX will first configure the device.  Then you
start up ADSM, which overwrites AIX's device definitions (even changing
the device names).  However, at next reboot AIX will reconfigure its
own device, and ADSM will be left with no devices.  This has happened
to us a couple of times, and it is apparently a widespread problem.

Since we haven't done anything special, my conclusion is that ADSM
needs to be fixed so that it will coexist correctly with AIX, and the
competition for devices must be stopped !

Someone should file a report to IBM (not us: we don't want to
reboot our main server just to debug such a problem).  Or the
ADSM folks within IBM should take the problem from list and
issue an ADSM fix as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Ole H. Nielsen
Physics Dept.
Technical University of Denmark

> From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Some questions.
>
> On Wed, 22 May 1996 at 15:20:53, Chet Martel commented:
>
> >The only problem I have is that when I reboot the system with the library
> >the library manager (lb0) and the tape drive (mt0) come up defined instead
> >of available.  What does come up as available is smcO and rmt0 with the
> >same scsi address as the 7331.  Reconfiguring the devices with SMIT takes
> >care of the problem.
>
> We are also seeing this on our 8mm and DLT drives and robots, at the 2.1.0.7
> level.  It was annoying, so I wrote a little script that will automatically
> configure such devices, making them Available.

% Ole Holm Nielsen
% UNI-C, Building 304
% Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
% E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen AT uni-c DOT dk or Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk
% WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
% Telephone: (+45) 35 87 89 65