ADSM-L

Re: Incremental vs Full Backups

1996-05-24 10:49:07
Subject: Re: Incremental vs Full Backups
From: Rick Tsujimoto <rtsujimoto AT CUSA.CANON DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 09:49:07 EST
     You should probably look at ADSM from a non-mainframe perspective
     since the basic design was derived from a smaller platform (i.e. who
     writes mainframe utilities using C ?).  It's very important that you
     get a good understanding of various COPYGROUP parms that can affect
     the retention of files, such as VEREXists, VERDeleted, RETExtra and
     RETOnly.  These parms determine how many versions you retain, for how
     long, and what you do with versions of files that were deleted by the
     client.  Choosing the wrong values could result in wasting a lot of
     mainframe disk space and/or tapes (I just went throught the agony of
     re-registering numerous clients).

     Anyway, to answer your other question, the parm RETOnly will determine
     how long your infrequently used file will be kept (assuming it never
     gets deleted by the client).

     One other thing you should be aware of is to make sure the
     EXCLUDE/INCLUDE values are properly specified.  It's too easy to mess
     up and you'll end up backing much more than you bargained for.

  *  Rick Tsujimoto                                   *
  *  rtsujimoto AT cusa.canon DOT com                        *
  *  tel: 516-328-4554                                *
  *  fax: 516-328-4369                                *