ADSM-L

Re: Incremental vs Full Backups

1996-05-24 07:47:37
Subject: Re: Incremental vs Full Backups
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp,US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 07:47:37 -0400
Frank,
        Yes, you need to look at this in a different perspective.  For backups,
ADSM uses version control (keep _n_ copies of a file if it's active
regardless of how old it is - active = exists on the client as of the
last backup) and a combination of version and retention period control
for inactive files (files no longer on the server as of the last ADSM
incremental backup).  If you're at all familiar with SMS on MVS, it's
very similar to the way an SMS Management Class works (backup frequency
/ # backups ds exists / # backups ds deleted / retain days only backup /
retain days extra backup).  Over time, as files expire and tapes become
partially full, these tapes are merged as part of reclamation
processing.  One factor to consider in setting up your ADSM environment
is whether or not to enable collocation  Enabling collocation tells ADSM
to keep each client's data on separate tapes.  With collocation
disabled, ADSM tries to fill each tape before writing to a new tape.
The upside to using collocation is that each client's data is on a
separate set of tapes which can speed up restores significantly. The
downside to collocation - more tapes are used, more tape mounts, more
background processing (tape reclamation).  Things to keep in mind when
deciding this are client size, tape capacity, etc.  Also, you can use
collocation for some clients and not for others by setting up separate
storagepools.
        This type of incremental backup philosophy takes some getting used to
as it differs radically from traditional backup methodologies.  I can
tell you from experience that we've used ADSM to do more than a few full
client (Netware, OS/2, NT, etc.) recoveries and full file system
recoveries (AIX, HPUX, Ultrix) over the past 2.5 years and it hasn't
failed us yet.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com