ADSM-L

Restore of Backup Volume

1996-05-21 15:29:48
Subject: Restore of Backup Volume
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 12:29:48 MST
>Restore for several primary storage volumes does not finish. I tried
>different numbers of volumes (1 to 10) and experienced the following
>problem:
>Restore process starts and sends messages ANR1232I, ANR1254I and
>ANR8324I. 30 minutes later the backup volume is mounted (Odetics DLT
>Library; DLT4000). After that the server is still very busy (AIX 3.2.5;
>dedicated to ADSM; 50% system, 50% user), I see some database activity,
>but nothing else happens to the restore process. It is waiting - for
>what?
>The new primary volumes are going to a manual libray (StorageTek
>Wolfcreek, channel attached 3490 / Los Alamos mountcode). I checked the
>following
>- enough empty tapes in storage pool
>- enough empty drives
>- mountlimit equals # drives

>Any suggestions?
>Server is 2.1.0.7

Restore Volume and Restore Stgpool both attempt to minimize tape mounts
and positioning for the copy storage pool volumes from which files are
restored.  Depending on how scattered these files are in your copy storage
pool, quite a bit of database activity may be required to locate the
necessary files and to restore them in the optimal order.  It is possible
that the server was busy identifying the copy pool volumes from which to
restore or the files that needed to be restored from a specific copy pool
volume.

We would need more information to help you pinpoint what is happening, but
here's some things you might consider.

o Thirty minutes seems like a long time delay to get your volume mounted.
  Did this delay include positioning or was this just to mount the tape?
  Did the restore process need to wait for the drive to become available?
o How long did the process run after the copy storage pool volume was
  mounted?  Did you cancel the process or did something else
  cause it to terminate?  Perhaps the server was busy with database
  activity as mentioned above.  Or was the tape drive positioning to
  files to be restored?
o Did you issue the Query Process command?  This would tell you if any
  files had been restored and which volumes were in use.  It would also
  tell you if the restore processing was waiting on mount points or
  volumes.
o Did you see messages indicating that a volume in the primary storage
  pool would need to be mounted?  Was a primary volume ever mounted?  If
  not, was a drive available?

If you feel you need assistance after considering the above comments, you
should open a problem with IBM Service.  You will need to provide
additional detail including answers to the above questions and perhaps
your activity log and some trace output.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development