ADSM-L

OS/2 Client Locks During Backup

1996-05-17 09:25:28
Subject: OS/2 Client Locks During Backup
From: Bryan King <bking AT ISM DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 14:25:28 +0100
On May 3 I wrote that I was experiencing OS/2 server lock ups
during an ADSM backup...

This past weekend we discovered that there was actually
corrupted entries/files on the drive - FDISK and a restore
from ADSM solved this problem - minus two days of data.

My BIG problem now is that another server is experiencing the
same type of problem.  During the night backup, ADSM happens
onto a what I suspect is the corrupted file, and the console
displays an "HPFS error 0101" and practically halts.  Users are
unable to login, and it is dead.

Some staff would like to point fingers at ADSM, but I keep
insisting that if the file system was not corrupt, ADSM would
work fine.  Fix the file system, and we would all sleep at
night.

Their argument is that other applications will terminate
without hanging the server, so ADSM must have a bug.

The million $$ question is:

Why doesn't ADSM skip over corrupt files, as if it is open?

Is there a patch for this?

The OS/2 client is running the March 26 release client.