ADSM-L

MVS PTF UN87799 Installation

1996-05-17 14:34:18
Subject: MVS PTF UN87799 Installation
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 14:34:18 -0400
Date:     May 17, 1996            Time:    13:59
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
We went to install PTF UN87799 to the MVS Server.  Much to our surprise, the
We went to install PTF UN87799 to the MVS Server.  Much to our surprise, the
Hold data said that we could not go back to an earlier maintenance level of
the server because of changes to the Devclass macro.  This causes us major
problems because we have two levels of MVS in testing now on our test system
(MVS version 5.2.2, and MVS 4.3), and we go back and forth between the two for
customer compatibility testing.  The same set of ADSM databases and pools are
available on both release levels.

My question - I can understand that if I utilize the new functions in the
devclass macro, then I wouldn't be able to go back.  However, since we don't
need the new functions, and will not be using them, can we still jump between
the different levels without a problem?  Obviously, I could apply the
maintenance to both systems, but then it would have to be "cold turkey" - put
it up and hope for the best.

Jerry Lawson