ADSM-L

Re: Delete backups

1996-05-09 09:23:14
Subject: Re: Delete backups
From: Claudia Masters <cmaster1 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 08:23:14 -0500
At 04:16 PM 5/8/96 PDT, you wrote:
>David Ong points out:
>
>>Are you saying that expiration processing for excluded files will disregard
>>copygroup information of the mgmt class that the files were backed-up with
>>and simply delete all versions? I thought excluded files were treated like
>>deleted files. I would greatly appreciate it if you can clarify this for me.
>
>Hi David!
>
>You win! I was just testing to see if anyone was paying attention...   ;-)
>
>Just kidding. Ya got me!
>
>You are correct. Excluded files are treated like deleted files. But I did find
>a round-about way to do what Claudia was asking about.
>
>1) Create a management class called DELBKUP, or something like that. In this
>   management class, indicate 0 (zero) days retention for extra versions and
>   0 days retention for the only version.
>
>2) Set up an INCLUDE statement for the file to point to the DELBKUP management
>   class.
>
>3) Run an incremental backup. This will cause the file to be rebound to the
>   DELBKUP management class.
>
>4) Change the INCLUDE to an EXCLUDE (and remove the reference to the DELBKUP
>   management class).
>
>5) Run another incremental backup. This will cause the active version to be
>   deactivated.
>
>6) Run inventory expiration. The management class settings should cause the
>   versions to expire.
>
>I did test this. However, you'd have to be pretty desperate to go to all this
>trouble just to delete unwanted backups for a single file, unless they are
>useless and big, and you need to free up the storage space.
>
>Bill Colwell's point in a previous post is well taken. I don't recommend
>excising backup versions, either, unless there is some compelling reason to
>do so.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andy Raibeck
>ADSM Level 2 Support
>408-256-0130

As an ADSM database administrator the capability of deleting files should be
available.
Just as IBM has provided the same capability in the DFSMShsm environment.
It is essential that administrators have more control over the data they are
entrusted with.
One example may be just as you stated, large files that are using large
amount of storage.
Or an even better reason may be a certain software vendor's requirement to
delete or remove any traces of expired/unlicensed software.