ADSM-L

ADSM, BACKINT, & SAP R/3

1996-05-06 10:20:02
Subject: ADSM, BACKINT, & SAP R/3
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 09:20:02 -0500
Have a question about setting up AIX V2 clients-- multiple clients or different
domains on same system.

I have an AIX 4.1.4 system, running the SAP R/3 product, and using BACKINT
1.2.4
and ADSM to backup the SAP Oracle databases.
When I have done this before, each
node of an SP2 system was an ADSM client, backing up one instance of an SAP
database, to an ADSM server on the SP2 control workstation.

This situation is a little different: have a j30 system, AIX 4.1.4, with ADSM
client V2.1.0.2.  But on this J30 system, I have two different instances of
SAP databases, in two different filesystems, one called TST one called DEV (
in the SAP db id).  This is how I finally got ADSM and BACKINT to successfully
backup the TST db-  but I am not sure this is the proper way.

Under the /oracle/TST filesystem, I moved the key ADSM client files from
/usr/lpp/adsm/bin:
    dsm.opt,   dsm.sys,   dsmtca, dsmameng.txt, and the inclexcl list file
I chowned and chmod'd these files so that the TST dba id (oratst) could execute
its brbackup, then invoke backint to invoke an ADSM archive.  This worked ok...
except I did try to define the nodename in the config files (mexico- same as
real hostname) and ADSM gave me an error message saying that nodename and
hostname could NOT be the same  (??!!- they are on the nodes on the sp2 system
??!!)  So I took nodename out, and it backed up ok, and the new filespaces show
up under the nodename Mexico.

I suppose I can replicate this setup then for the DEV instance.  But is this
the proper way  ??
Or should I have separate ADSM clients on each.... and if so how do I do that,
since there is only one /usr   filesystem ????   I see in an SP2 redbook an
example where they put the ADSM config files in a separate area: /var/adsm
so it looks like one client but with different "users".  But this isn't exactly
an SP2 either.....

And I assume if I do it like I have tested... then any and all restores of any
non database& log data,
would have to be done with the root id since he has access to all areas,
whereas the TST and DEV database id's only have authority to different
filesystems, and not to any of the "system" areas like  / , /usr , /etc , /var,

Anyone have a better way.... or can explain the basics of backing up different
filesystems, under 1 or 2 AIX clients  ????

Thanks,
Susie McClure
RICE University