ADSM-L

Re: Help - allocating disk stg vols

1996-05-03 07:21:06
Subject: Re: Help - allocating disk stg vols
From: John O'Neall <jon AT IN2P3 DOT FR>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 13:21:06 +0200
On Wed, 1 May 1996, Dean Roy wrote:

> > All,
> >         We have AIX RS6K/R24 servers, with AIX 4.1.4, each with
> >         128 gigabytes of SSA disk storage.
> >         we are having problems allocating large storage volumes on disk.
> >
> >         We defined 5 logical volumes on the SSA disks, each about 22gb
> >         Then we tried using DSMFMT to define files as our disk storage
> >         volumes, each time we allocate above 1 gigabyte we get the
> >         following message :-
> >         "error allocating volume errorno = 27"
>
>                 I also ran into this error. This is a result of the
>                 Max. file size parameter on your userid. The default is that
>         the maximum size file you can create is 1 gigabyte.
>                    You can change this using smit but I believe the maximum
>         allowable file size on an AIX system is 2 gigabytes!

We've had the same problem when trying to format blocks of only 1100 MB,
even after changing the max file size for the root user (and the guy who
does the su to become root) to 4194303 512-byte blocks (i.e., 1.999999
GB).  Are you sure it's due to AIX permissions and not to a bug in
DSMFMT?

John

John O'Neall                         e-mail:  jon AT in2p3 DOT fr
John O'Neall                         e-mail:  jon AT in2p3 DOT fr
Centre de Calcul de l'IN2P3          phone:   (33) 78 93 08 80
Villeurbanne, France                 fax:     (33) 78 94 30 54