ADSM-L

[no subject]

1996-05-03 00:56:00
From: "Pete Tanenhaus, ADSM Client Development" <pt AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 00:56:00 EDT
>>Pete -

>>Let me see if I got this right (especially since I provided a partiall
>>correct response earlier).   :-)

>>I have a Win95 machine backed up with the Win32 client. Assuming I hav given
>>the correct access rights to an OS/2 client,that client OS/2 client ca
>>restore the Win32 files, including long file names.   Am I correct?

The long filenames will be truncated because the FAT file system under
OS/2 doesn't support long file names. It is a limitation of OS/2 and
not of the ADSM client. You could restore the files intact to an HPFS
drive because HPFS supports long filenames, but this isn't going to
do you much good since Win95 doesn't recognize HPFS.

If OS/2 would change their implementation of FAT to support long
filenames you would be in business.

>>Assuming the above is correct, if I initialize a hard drive with the  per
>>boot records from a Win95 boot disk (Fdisk, Format, SYS c:, etc..) andhen
>>use the OS/2 client to restore the rest of the files on the disk, then
>>should be able to boot the machine and have Win95 start from the new dk.
>>Are my allergy drugs deluding me?

Except for the afore mentioned problem with long filenames this will
work. In fact, I have a machine which duel boots via the NT boot manager
Win95 and Win NT. All of the Boot files are on C: and Win95 is on D: .

I replaced the D drive because of a hardware failure and restored the
the entire drive with the Win32 client running under NT and Win95
started fine and was just as it was before the drive crashed.

I think you could probably restore enough of Win95 with the OS/2 client
so that it would start and you could then use the Win32 client to
get back all of your long filenames.

Unfortunately only the Microsoft 32-Bit platforms support long FAT
filenames.

Pete Tanenhaus
ADSM Client Development