ADSM-L

Re: Backing up an ORACLE database on AIX

1996-05-02 11:25:30
Subject: Re: Backing up an ORACLE database on AIX
From: Brian Johnson <smbxj01 AT OSMF.BT.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 08:25:30 -0700
Linnea Nichols wrote:

> To: [email protected] <adsm-l AT vm.marist DOT edu>
>
> FROM: Linnea T. Nichols   (703)324-2708    US5RNFRN AT ibmmail DOT com
>       Systems Programming Mgr           LNICHO AT co.fairfax.va DOT us
>       Fairfax County Department of Information Technology
> Subject: Backing up an ORACLE database on AIX
> We are trying to set up a backup scenario for an ORACLE database on an
> AIX box. What we want to do is to have the backup performed at a set
> time as determined by this system's administrator, and not have it use
> an ADSM scheduled backup. When the backup is kicked off, we would like
> to have it do a regular incremental backup using a STANDARD mgmt class,
> excluding the ORACLE database, and then do a selective backup on the
> ORACLE database, using a different mgmt class. We've been trying to
> figure out how to do this using the INCLUDE/EXCLUDE statements and have
> gotten stuck. What would be the best way to do this? (We've read the
> Redbook on backuping up databases -- it's good, but we can't find an
> answer to our problem.
>
> * "We are all faced with a series of great opportunities      *
> *  brilliantly disguised as impossible situations" C. Swindoll*
> Linnea

        Linnea,
        We too have this problem, it would be nice to be able to
        over-ride the INCL/EXCL list, i.e. point to a second one for such
        an occasion.

        We are using ADSMPIPE to backup our oracle databases, but like
        you on a users application we need to take a non database and
        then a database backup, i.e. :- excluding the oracle files on the
        non database backup but then including them on the database
        backup.

        How we get round it is, say your system has "/, /usr, /home and
        /oracle", we define the non database schedule using the OBJECTS
        parm,  "OBJECTS=/, /usr, /home", then we cron a job, to run
        adsmpipe jobs, to backup /oracle.

        I hope this is of some help, we have raised this problem with
        CALL-AIX some time ago, but they say ADSM is working as designed,
        although you can over-ride other parameters in the client options
        files.
        Surely to over-ride the INCLEXCL seems like a good option to add
        in further releases.