ADSM-L

[no subject]

1996-04-25 18:36:30
From: Greg Tevis <gtevis AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 15:36:30 PDT
Michael Tramont asked about backing up raw volumes with adsm.  We do not
intend to officially support this function since we feel a better (and
safer) way is to work directly with software that's running in raw
partitions (eg, databases) to provide online and incremental support
for such applications.  Backing up raw volumes...adsm has no way to
guarantee that restoring that image will ensure the integrity of
your data (eg, databases backed up while open may be useless to restore).

That said...adsm development has written an unsupported utility called
ADSMPIPE that backups up aix logical volumes.  This is available on
diskette when you order the redbook 'USING ADSM TO BACKUP DATABASES"
(SG24-4335-01).  This can also be garnered from the ftp server under
a directory called /NOSUPT (or something like that).  This is an
unsupported utility that is not officially part of adsm...but it is
available...thanks...greg tevis