ADSM-L

cc:Mail database cannot be locked

1996-04-23 08:15:38
Subject: cc:Mail database cannot be locked
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:15:38 -0400
Date:     April 23, 1996            Time:    08:00
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
We recently had an "event" in which a backup of a NetWare server kicked off
We recently had an "event" in which a backup of a NetWare server kicked off
while there was a high number of active users on the server.  Utilization was
high from the NetWare monitor, but the real problem occurred when ADSM got to
the cc:Mail data bases CLANDATA and MLANDATA, and then we started having
problems with access to cc:Mail.  Mail users received messages reading
"DataBase cannot be locked", and were not allowed access to their mail.  Those
that did gain access had a lot of messages with a title of "Test cannot be rea
d".  The resolution of the problem was to cancel the backup, and rerun it
later.   After the cancellation, the problem cleared itself.

The customer believes that ADSM locked the file while it was backing it up
(options are set to Shared Dynamic), but based on my observations and
understanding, I did not think this was correct, but rather thought it was
that cc:Mail could not gain an exclusive use of the file, since ADSM was
reading it.  I could also believe that NetWare has some part in the episode.
Can anyone shed some light on what we saw?  Has anyone else seen the problem
in their shop?

Jerry Lawson