ADSM-L

Multiple ADSM schedules

1996-04-17 13:13:28
Subject: Multiple ADSM schedules
From: Frank Ramke <ramke AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:13:28 PDT
> I am having problem finishing my unix backup within the backup window.
> Can any body tell me how can I run multiple ADSM schedules concurently.
> Fawzi,

Maybe you can use the following information we've put together for
the NetWare client:

Regards,
Frank Ramke
Setting up an ADSM schedule to run multiple sessions.
Setting up an ADSM schedule to run multiple sessions.

Many of the ADSM scheduler clients can be run multiple
times from a single node or machine. Each instance of the
program can be set up to perform backups on a particular
drive or file space. The following example shows how to do this
with the NetWare ADSM scheduler.

   To enable multi-session backups using the central scheduler with a
     version 2 server ADSM server:

  1.  Setup a schedule with an action of "Command" and an object of
      sys:adsm\sched.ncf.
  2.  Create a file on the client called sys:adsm\sched.ncf. The contents
      could be the following:

   load sys:\adsm\dsmc incremental sys: -incrbydate -pass=xxxx -quiet
   load sys:\adsm\dsmc incremental vol1: -incrbydate -pass=xxxx -quiet
   load sys:\adsm\dsmc incremental vol2: -incrbydate -pass=xxxx -quiet

  3.  Load the scheduler.

   To enable multi-session backups using the central scheduler with a
     version 1 ADSM Server:

  1. Set up a schedule with an incremental backup, but use an object
     of SYS:

  2. In the DSM.OPT file, add the following line:

    PRESCHED SYS:\ADSM\SCHED.NCF

  3. Create a file on the client called sys:adsm\sched.ncf. The contents
     could be the following:

     load sys:\adsm\dsmc incremental vol1: -incrbydate -pass=xxxx -quiet
     load sys:\adsm\dsmc incremental vol2: -incrbydate -pass=xxxx -quiet

  4. Load the scheduler.

When performing multi-session backups from a single node, it is
important to stage ADSM storage to disk before writing to tape so
that tape drive contention is minimized. It is also important to
divide the filespaces as smartly as possible.