ADSM-L

SOLUTION: ADSM 2.1 SunOS X-windows client is broken

1996-04-15 10:24:13
Subject: SOLUTION: ADSM 2.1 SunOS X-windows client is broken
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <ohnielse AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:24:13 MET
Here is the resolution of the problem that the ADSM 2.1 SunOS X-windows
client may break:

> We have a problem with the latest release of ADSTAR Distributed Storage
> Manager Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.3, where the SunOS X-windows
> client is broken:
>
> The "dsm" UNIX command X-windows interface doesn't work.  However, the
> command-line interface "dsmc" UNIX command works with no problems.
>
> When the "dsm" command is invoked, the following error is printed:
>
>   Warning: Shell Widget class VendorShell binary compiled for R3
>
> The ADSM window then starts up with three "ADSM - Caution"
> popup-windows reporting (in order of occurrence):
>
> 1.  Cannot query Policy Set Information from server
> 2.  ANS3156E Cannot query server mount information
> 3.  ANS4510E Error allocating semaphores.

The cause of the problem lies in the configuration of SunOS.  We have
tuned the SunOS kernel by excluding features that weren't needed, and
specifically we had removed support of the "System V IPC semaphore
facility".  The GENERIC SunOS kernel has these features enabled,
however, so a default installation wouldn't experience the problem.

Solution:

In the SunOS 4.1.X operating system, the SunOS kernel configuration
file (located in the /sys/sun4{c,m}/conf/ directory) MUST include the
following lines:

options IPCSEMAPHORE    # System V IPC semaphore facility
options IPCSHMEM        # System V IPC shared-memory facility

If they are not enabled in the running kernel, a new kernel must be
built and the system rebooted with the new kernel.  This procedure is
documented in the Sun manuals.

In the Solaris 2.X operating system, the options IPCSEMAPHORE and
IPCSHMEM must be enabled in the kernel.

Best regards,
Ole H. Nielsen
Physics Dept.
Technical University of Denmark

% Ole Holm Nielsen
% UNI-C, Building 304
% Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
% E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen AT uni-c DOT dk or Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk
% WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
% Telephone: (+45) 35 87 89 65