ADSM-L

Re: Adsm client abend after install on OS/2 Warp Connect

1996-04-12 15:17:07
Subject: Re: Adsm client abend after install on OS/2 Warp Connect
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:17:07 -0500
On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, I wrote, in part..
> The (abend) dialog box says:
>    System Error (Unknown title) Session ID= 017
>    SYS3175
>    A program in this session encountered a problem and cannot continue.
> The problem occurs whether I try to start the Backup client or the
> Scheduler and happens after the "connecting to server" message box.

The problem was that the client installer dutifully removed all unneeded
lines in DSM.OPT and had filled in the COMMETHOD (as TCPIP), but

   had forgotten to remove the *asterisk* from column 1 of each line!

Apparently ADSM was trying to invoke 3270 communication, something not
used here.  It would be cheaper for everyone involved if an error
message had said just that.  :-(

Wayne T. Smith               internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
Systems Group -- CAPS        University of Maine System