ADSM-L

ADSM 2.1 database backup ejects 8mm tape after backup

1996-04-12 05:09:32
Subject: ADSM 2.1 database backup ejects 8mm tape after backup
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <ohnielse AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:09:32 MET
We have a problem with the latest release of ADSTAR Distributed Storage
Manager Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.3:

We would like to backup our ADSM database to our RS/6000 AIX 4.1.4
server's built-in 8mm tape unit.

In the ADSM Administration GUI's "Administrative Command Schedules"
we have defined a a database backup command:

  backup db devclass=dbbackup

where the device class is defined to be the 8mm tape unit.
However, when the database backup completes successfully, the
8mm tape is EJECTED from the tape unit.

We consider the EJECTED tape to be the result of a software error.  We
want the tape to reside permanently in the tape drive for unattended
database backup.  Should we decide to remove the tape, we know very
well how to do so.

Is there any known method for forcing the tape NOT to be ejected ?

Best regards,
Ole H. Nielsen
Physics Dept.
Technical University of Denmark

% Ole Holm Nielsen
% UNI-C, Building 304
% Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
% E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen AT uni-c DOT dk or Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk
% WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
% Telephone: (+45) 35 87 89 65