ADSM-L

Pct Comm Wait Last Session

1996-04-11 11:00:06
Subject: Pct Comm Wait Last Session
From: Larry Anta <lanta AT ACS.RYERSON DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 11:00:06 -0400
Query Node is showing Pct Comm Wait Last Session in the 80% range.  Pct
Comm Wait Last Session is documented as the percentage of time the client
waited for a communication response from the server.

Is there a way to determine *why* the client had to wait?

I have followed every recommendation in the Performance and Turing guide
with the exception of setting the token ring mtu size to 4000 (mine is 1492).

Data base cache hits are well over 95% and I am not compressing on the
client.

Server is RS/6000 model C20 running AIX 4.1.3 and ADSM 2.1.  Client is a
J30 running AIX 4.1.3 and ADSM 2.1.  They're connected via 16 Mb/sec
token ring LAN.

My average file size is about 2MB and I'm backing up directly to tape
(3590) on a dedicated F/W SCSI with bus domination turned on.

Again, my main question is, what can I do to determine *why* Pct Comm
Wait Last Session is in the 80% range.  Thanks.

/ Larry Anta           |  Ryerson Polytechnic University          \
\ lanta AT acs.ryerson DOT ca |  Toronto, Canada (416) 979-5000 Ext.6817 /