ADSM-L

Define Drive for a 3494

1996-04-03 17:51:10
Subject: Define Drive for a 3494
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT ACS.BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:51:10 -0500
One uses the Define Drive command to specify the tape drives which
ADSM may use in a given 3494 Library.  If two RS/6000s will be
accessing that Library, is there any need to dedicate the 3494's
tape drives to each accessing RS/6000?  (Much in the same way that
tapes are segregated by category codes associated with each Library
name.)  The manuals don't talk about this one way or the other.
From my research I believe that with the Reserve/Release functions
provided in the device driver that there should be no need to
dedicate tape drives.  That is, each RS/6000 can use any free drive.
But I want to make sure...
      thanks,  Richard Sims, Boston University OIT