ADSM-L

Maintenance from the FTP Server....

1996-04-02 17:44:41
Subject: Maintenance from the FTP Server....
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 14:44:41 PST
Re: Note from you attached below

>I have come to notice that when you release maintenance through the FTP
>server, it is not always available through the regular maintenance ordering
>processes, such as IBM Link.  For example, the Win95 client and the Mac Power
>PC version were both documented through this list as being available, but when
>I check with IBMLink these two are both open.  The same holds true for some of
>the Server maintenance, such as the MVS OE fixes of UN82453 - APAR II07777
>mentions these, (dated January 24th), but they are still open as of April 2.
>
>I usually prefer to order PTFs through IBMLink for several reasons - I have a
>set of complete diskettes that I expect to be complete (not subject to my own
>massaging); many of the clients have multiple diskettes (AIX seems to be at 26
>these days), and when a mass release occurs, as it did last week, response is
>slow, and access is difficult.  Don't get me wrong - I appreciate the FTP
>server, and use it when it makes sense for me, but I prefer the "blessed"
>methods for a production environment.
>
>So where do I have problems?  Specifically with the apparent inconsistency of
>maintenance being available here, and yet it is still marked as open in
>IBMLink/HONE.  Are the PTFs, because they are open, still subject to update
>and change?  It would seem that this process leaves open the possibility that
>2 or more versions of a given level of code might be "released" because of
>this.  Am I being paranoid?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason is that once our test
group gives the OK for the code, we ship it to Boulder to be stocked
on the shelves.  This takes a certain amount of time.  However, since
the code is in reproduction, we see no reason to hold up placing it
on the FTP server, so that you can get them as soon as possible.
These are just as official as anything you order out of Boulder, it's
just electronic.

Hope this helps...

Brett Walker