ADSM-L

Re: adsm v2r1

2015-10-04 18:16:27
Subject: Re: adsm v2r1
From: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: oas higmx at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 3/28/96 3:19PM
Date: 3/28/96 2:38PM
While I agree with Mitch's statements about what you are trying to do being
very difficult within ADSM, I do not agree with his solution.  Rather, before
you try something else, I would ask - is what you are trying to do really
necessary, based on ADSM's method of operation.   I find that ADSM eliminates
the need to go through the tedious process of doing periodic full backups, bec
ause of it's basic design.  I initially was concerned about whose data was on
which tape, but this soon gets past the point of management.  The design
really does work - relax and go with the plan.

Of course there are tings to concern yourself with - for example, if tapes are
kept in a manual method, when a restore is initiated, there is no "prefetch"
list of tapes to have handy.  Methods of doing this have been suggested on the
list here, but it would be nicer if ADSM had them built in.  I have restored
my complete machine many times, and the fact that I did not know what tapes co
ntained my data, and the fact that I had been on ADSM for 2 years, with only
the initial full backup and daily incrementals was not an issue in any way.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com