ADSM-L

Re: ADSM-L Digest - 25 Mar 1996 to 26 Mar 1996

1996-03-28 12:17:21
Subject: Re: ADSM-L Digest - 25 Mar 1996 to 26 Mar 1996
From: "Scott D. Courtney" <courtney AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 12:17:21 EST
** Reply to note from Automatic digest processor
<LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> 03/27/96 12:00am -0500

> Date:    Tue, 26 Mar 1996 09:57:00 EST
> From:    "Jon C. Austin" <TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU>
> Subject: OS/2 Client start from CONFIG.SYS RUN= statement
>
> Question,
>
>     I automating some OS/2 boxes, and I want to move anything that
> doesn't require monitoring into detached processes. In this case,
> I want to include the DSMC SCHEDULE client.
>
> Question: OS/2 Command Ref states:
>
>    Because RUN programs are started before the initialization of
>    the user interface and disk error handling, the program must
>    prevent the operating system from performing disk handling and
>    perform its own.
>
> Does this exclude the DSMC.EXE from being started with a CONFIG.SYS
> RUN= statement?...
I haven't tried specifically what you suggest, but will offer this
idea:  You can also detach a process using the DETACH command from
within STARTUP.CMD.  I haven't tried this with DSMC.EXE, but it may
fail if this program needs to start another process because detached
programs (started from CONFIG.SYS or DETACH) are not allowed to spawn
separate sessions.  If you try this, how about posting your results?

"Today is always Version 1.0"          Scott D. Courtney,
"Today is always Version 1.0"          Scott D. Courtney,
     -- seaQuest DSV episode           Senior Programmer/Analyst
                                       The Timken Company
OS/2 Warp Connect:                     Information Technology Mgmt.
Where I want to go today!              e-mail "courtney AT timken DOT com"