ADSM-L

Backuppool tape utilitzation

1996-03-14 15:28:18
Subject: Backuppool tape utilitzation
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:28:18 MST
>        We're running ADSM/MVS v1 r1 level 0.14/1.14.   I have found, quite
>accidentally, that for certain clients, (namely novell and large unix
>ones) I had a lot of tapes in the pool for the same client, that were
>less than full with a status of 'filling' (we use collocation).    To
>verify this, I came up with a series of admin macros to feed some
>mainframe batch jobs and found that some clients had as many as 10-15
>tapes dedicated to their backup data with sometimes with very little
>data on them!

There is a bug in the volume selection code for collocated storage
pools that causes an empty volume to be selected when an available
filling volume should be used.  The end result is that filling volumes
for a given node can accumulate.  See PN79990 for details.
The fix should be available in the next PTF.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development