ADSM-L

FW: Problem with storage

1996-03-14 11:59:00
Subject: FW: Problem with storage
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:59:00 EST
Jerry Lawson was kind enough to notify everybody of the workaround he came
up with... here's a copy of the note he sent to ADSM-L........

Date:     February 8, 1996            Time:    08:01
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
Several months ago, there was a discussion about a new "feature" in the
version 2 OS/2 Admin client.  Simply put, the GUI Admin client would not let
you view a list that had over 500 entries - Nodes and File Spaces were the
areas causing most of the grief.  These were addressed via an APAR that was
in
cluded in the level 2 PTF (IP20561).

However, there was a similar "feature" in the Storage Pool Volumes option
that
was not addressed by the above PTF.  If you double click on this, and you
have
more than 500 volumes, then you will get a box up saying only the first 500
will be displayed, the first screen will be put up, but the screen will not
be
unlocked.  You cannot get into the View option to limit the search.  This
has
been submitted as an APAR, but is not yet available.

The good news is that we have developed a short cut that lets you get by the
initial check, and then limit your search.  This is accomplished by adding
the
following 4 lines to the DSMADM.CFG file in your ADSM directory.

Volumes.400  TAPE_POOL
Volumes.406  *
Volumes.417  *
Volumes.9988  136

You should replace "TAPE_POOL" with the name of a small pool (DASD or tape)
of
your own.  You should then start up the admin, select Storage Pool Volumes,
and receive a reasonable response.  The "Include" option (under View) can
now
be used to further modify your search.

Hope this has some value.

Jerry Lawson