ADSM-L

Backup statistics

1996-03-13 14:02:24
Subject: Backup statistics
From: Larry Anta <lanta AT ACS.RYERSON DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 14:02:24 -0500
Perhaps someone could shed some light on how to interpret the backup
statistics I get in dsmsched.log.  The client and the server are the same
machine (AIX 4.1.3 on a C20) and we're running ADSM V2.  The tape drive is
a scsi-attached 3590-B11.

This is the first incremental backup (and therefore it's backing up
everything).  I know there's over 5GB of data on my client, but
dsmsched.log shows:

TOTAL NUMBER OF BYTES TRANSFERRED:      1.9 GB
DATA TRANSFER TIME:                     4,598.83 sec
DATA TRANSFER RATE:                     452.40 KB/sec
AVERAGE FILE SIZE:                      166.8 KB
ELAPSED PROCESSING TIME:                3:35:15

I am *not* doing software compression.

My questions are:
1) Why is the "TOTAL NUMBER OF BYTES TRANSFERRED" so low?
2) Can any of these numbers be trusted? I calculate a data transfer rate
   of 433.22 KB/sec (1.9GB/4,598.83sec).
3) And finally, if we really are getting only about 0.5 MB/sec
   throughput, why is it so slow?  3590-B11s are rated much much higher.
   I wasn't expecting the theoretical maximum, but 0.5 MB/sec is not even
   close.

Thanks in advance.

/ Larry Anta           |  Ryerson Polytechnic University          \
\ lanta AT acs.ryerson DOT ca |  Toronto, Canada (416) 979-5000 Ext.6817 /