ADSM-L

RECOVERY OF A CRASHED MACHINE

1996-03-12 11:25:49
Subject: RECOVERY OF A CRASHED MACHINE
From: Ron Ritchey <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:25:49 CST
If I have the ADSM client on an OS/2 machine and the hard disk crashes
what would be the process to restore to a new machine?

I know there are tools that can be used to create boot disks, but they
are too hard to maintain. You have to update the disks each time you
have a hardware change. I need a process that will work on any machine
no matter which type of hard disk, video or NIC card you have in them.

Would this work? Install OS/2, TCP/IP and ADSM and then restore the
original files. Select replace existing files to restore the
original files. This will restore everything except the desktop, correct?
Then restore the OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI to a temporary directory, boot
from a floppy, copy them to OS2 directory and reboot.

How do you handle different NIC cards and video adapters?

Does anyone have a set of steps that they follow to do disaster recovery
for the OS/2, Windows, MAC, and Unix platforms?