ADSM-L

failed restore- but what tape ???

1996-03-11 10:22:42
Subject: failed restore- but what tape ???
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:22:42 -0600
I hope someone can help me with this restore problem.

I have a MAC client trying to restore his whole system.

The restore keeps coming to a point where it issues a message (no number)
saying file not found.... and then it just fails... does not continue with the
rest of the restore.

Looking in the activity log I see no indication of an error.  It is hard to
tell
in ADSM exactly which tape it was reading when it failed, so I tracked it
several times to see what was mounted... I get it down to 5 different tapes
being mounted at the time.  I do an "audit volume" fix=no on all of them hoping
it will find an error and we can then delete the reference to the bad file.....
but they all complete their audit with no irretrieveable files found.

I do notice on a MAC restore it seems to bring down directory (folder) entries
first for a section, and then go back and bring down the actual files for the
folders.... so maybe my mounted tapes only have the folders and not the files
but I can't figure it out for sure.  Also , an audit of one of the tapes, calls
for a mount for audit for 2 other tapes, I assume because of some files
spanning
multiple volumes...... but I never see those 2 tapes get mounted during the
actual restore function.... so maybe the file that spans the volumes is NOT for
this client ???!!!

Anyhow.... any ideas how I can find the bad record and delete the reference (I
do know the file we are failing on) or how to make the restore go past theerror
and just restore what it can find ????

Many thanks,
Susie McClure
RICE University