ADSM-L

ADSM V2.1.0 install on AIX 4.1

1996-03-08 14:02:00
Subject: ADSM V2.1.0 install on AIX 4.1
From: Greg Tevis <gtevis AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 11:02:00 PST
for clarification, this problem only occurs when you install
the original ADSM V2 HSM client on AIX 4.1.  This was a documented
unsupported platform.  Unfortunately, this process was easy to do
(eg, by installing 'all clients' on an aix 4.1 system)..and we
didn't warn you about it (our documentation was already out when
we discovered this problem).  When I found this out, I immediately
sent out a warning flash to this list (and other adsm forums) as well
as to an internal friends of adsm list (ibmers who work with customers
using adsm) and the users groups.  I know this information
flow didn't reach each customer, but I couldn't think
of other ways to get the message out.

I have a general question for the list...when info flashes like
this come up...any ideas of ways we can communicate better with
all of you (and others who aren't on this list).  This has
traditionally been an area we've struggled with...and its even
more challenging now that adsm is being sold through so many
different channels.

any ideas would be appreciated..thanks...greg tevis

>>After much panic I discovered that the file /etc/vfs had been truncated
>>to zero size !  Restoring this file from another AIX system saved my day !

>>lesson No. 2: ADSM install may corrupt your system.  Make sure that
             you keep a backup copy of the file /etc/vfs.