ADSM-L

Question on DOMAIN options and INCLUDE/EXCLUDE

1996-03-07 10:28:58
Subject: Question on DOMAIN options and INCLUDE/EXCLUDE
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 09:28:58 -0600
I am trying to backup some ADSM clients and am somewhat confused by the
messages I see in the ADSMSCHED.LOG.

I have 2 AIX clients, ClientA and ClientB, and for both of them I defined a
schedule to do an "incremental" backup.... but the backup copygroups for their
default,active management class is actually set to "absolute", in order to
get a full backup.

I have defined one include/exclude list for that they both  use copies of. I
have pointed to its location in the dsm.sys file.

For clientA, I did NOT have a domain statement specified in dsm.opt so it
should default to all locally mounted filesystems except /tmp.
Looking at the dsmsched.log, I see that it seemed to send a directory entry
to ADSM for the items that were listed for Exclusion on the incl/excl list.
Just an entry called directory, not the actual excluded file.  I assume this is
to keep track of the directory tree structure.

For clientB, used the same incl/excl list, but also had DOMAIN statements in
the
dsm.opt. I see in the log messages like "incremental backup processing started
for filesystem b" .... then files.... then "incremental backup processing
successfully completed for filesystem b" and so on.   BUT I never see it even
appearing to look at the exclude items, it just excludes them.  It does not
seem to send the directory entry for the excluded items like clientA did.

I think the net result for the two is the same-- am I right ???

But why does one send a directory entry for an excluded file and the other does
not ???   Should I be doing it one way versus the other for easier restore ????

And one last question, this is probably minor, but in the schedule log
statistics listed at the end of the backup, it list "# of objects inspected",
#number backed up", "# of failures" and also "number of objects deleted"

I assume the "#of objects inspected" should be the total number of objects in
all the filessystems included (either by default or domain statement)- correct
??

And the actual number backed up, is what was left after applying all the
excludes against the filesystems- correct ?

And the number deleted--- is this just getting the client in synch with the
server on objects he has deleted from the database because they have expired
or rolled off due to exceeding the number of versions ???

Thanks for any help on this.  I just want to be sure I am getting what we
intended to backup.

Susie McClure
RICE University