ADSM-L

ADSM 2.1 install corrupts AIX file !

1996-03-07 08:04:19
Subject: ADSM 2.1 install corrupts AIX file !
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <ohnielse AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 14:04:19 +0100
Dear ADSM managers,

As a new ADSM customer I just installed ADSM 2.1 on an AIX 4.1.4 server.
I did this in a SMIT non-graphics window, and the installation failed
because it couldn't open the X display.

Lesson No. 1: DON'T install ADSM in a non-graphics SMIT window.
              (would be nice if the install would abort in this case).

After the failed install, I could no longer access CD-ROM filesystems
(cdrfs) !!!

SU :/etc> mount /cdrom
mount: 0506-318 cdrfs is not a known vfs type for object /dev/cd0.

After much panic I discovered that the file /etc/vfs had been truncated
to zero size !  Restoring this file from another AIX system saved my day !

Lesson No. 2: ADSM install may corrupt your system.  Make sure that
              you keep a backup copy of the file /etc/vfs.

Has anyone else experienced this ?  IBM surely ought to address these
two problems, which I would consider as pretty serious bugs in the
ADSM installation code.

Best regards,
Ole H. Nielsen
Physics Dept.
Technical University of Denmark

% Ole Holm Nielsen
% UNI-C, Building 304
% Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
% E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen AT uni-c DOT dk or Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk
% WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
% Telephone: (+45) 35 87 89 65