ADSM-L

Lotus Notes Server Backups

1996-03-04 15:22:11
Subject: Lotus Notes Server Backups
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 15:22:11 -0500
Date:     March 4, 1996            Time:    14:37
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
We are backing up some Lotus Notes Servers as a straight OS/2 backup (not
We are backing up some Lotus Notes Servers as a straight OS/2 backup (not
using the Notes client) since the DBs are very big and very active.  Some of
the data bases never get backed up, as they are 500MB each, and always
changing.  (We have the serialization set to Shared Static).  In the ADSM
Notes documentation, it suggests the Shared Static serialization, but since we
are never getting a backup, the Notes administrator wants to know what the
exposure is to his Notes database if we switch to a straight dynamic (fuzzy)
backup.  Does anyone know anything about Notes to comment on this?

BTW, to clarify something I stated on Friday, Lotus is requiring OS/2 fix pack
17 as a minimum maintenance level for Release 4 Notes servers.  If you are
using ADSM to backup a Notes server, be sure you have the IC12349 code
installed on ADSM.  I also heard that other vendors will be using this release
as a minimum requirement in the future.

Associated with the Static backup mentioned above, we saw in the log the
messages indicating the data had changed, and the backup was being retried.
We noticed one odd thing - in each message, the size of the data base was
reported the same.  My Notes administrator thought this strange - could there
be a bug in how the message is being formatted (the size not being replaces,
perhaps?)  I told him that it could be the date/time stamp changing, but
unfortunately that information is not displayed, and I can't think of an easy
way to view this from an Administrator's level.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Jerry Lawson