ADSM-L

Re: NetWare NDS object specification - input wanted

1996-03-04 16:59:54
Subject: Re: NetWare NDS object specification - input wanted
From: Bob Thornton <bobt AT NETNET DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 13:59:54 -0800
Jim Smith wrote:

> ADSM NetWare development is looking into changing the naming convention
> for specifying NDS objects.  Does anybody have any preferences on
> how they would like the naming conventions?
>
> For example, the user 'Spike' is part of Organizational Unit 'Development'
> which is part of the organization 'IBM'.  The name of container 'Spike'
> in the context of the current ADSM naming convention is:
>
>    DIRECTORY:/.O=IBM/.OU=Development.O=IBM/.CN=Spike.OU=Development.O=IBM
>
> This type of specification 'simulates' a DOS-like directory structure.
>
> Do you . . .
>
> 1) prefer the current specification?
> 2) prefer to use a naming convention similar to those used in NDS utilities
>    (NWADMIN, NETADMIN)?  For example:
>
>    DIRECTORY:/.CN=Spike.OU=Development.O=IBM
>
> 3) prefer to use a naming convention using elements of both (ie having
>    a similar specification as NWADMIN/NETADMIN but with the highest level
>    on the left)?  For example:
>
>    DIRECTORY:/.O=IBM.OU=Development.CN=Spike
>
> 4) have an even better idea ?
>
> Please keep in mind factors such as wildcard specifications (eg. say you
> wanted to list all of the containers in .OU=Development).  Any input
> would be appreciated.
>
> Also, if anybody would care to share thoughts on backing up and restoring
> the NDS (do you use ADSM, do you rely on NDS replication ...), we would
> enjoy hearing from you.
>
> Thanks,
> ADSM NetWare development

Jim,

    We have just starting using ADSM to backup our NW4.1 file servers using
ADSM.  It would be nice to keep the naming conventions to be the same that
Novell uses in their utilities.  For those that have gone through the
conversion of NW 3.x to NW4.1 there is enough confusion already on how to
figure out the difference in what files have what ownership, container, etc.
By not following what Novell uses, it will just add to the confusion.

    We are backing up our NDS using ADSM, but have not tested restoring the
NDS using the product.  I'm assuming that the restore of the NDS would be
similar to restoring the bindery, that being restore the NDS / bindery, drop
the server and bring it back up.  This should restore the objects in the NDS.
Files ownership and trustee rights may have to be added back in manually as I
think they are stored on the file / volume level information instead of in the
NDS / bindery.  (Someone please correct this if I'm wrong.  Thanks!)

    Also, I would like to echo the comments voiced previously on the mail list
about getting a GUI interface for Novell and ADSM.  Novell's NW4.1 admin tool
now uses a GUI interface in the Windows environment.  Other Novell third party
backup systems have the GUI interface (for both 3.x and 4.1 servers), why not
ADSM?

Thanks .... Bobt

|  Bob Thornton            |   Schreiber Foods, Inc.      |
|  Bob Thornton            |   Schreiber Foods, Inc.      |
|  Network Administrator   |   P.O. Box 19010             |
|  Email: bobt AT netnet DOT net  |   Green Bay, Wi.  54307-9010 |
|                          |   Phone: (414) 437-7601      |