ADSM-L

FW: MVS ADSM Server Performance Tuning

1996-02-27 12:33:00
Subject: FW: MVS ADSM Server Performance Tuning
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:33:00 EST
Not exactly what you're looking for but here's some stuff you can look
at....

1) Dispatching priority... set it according to how critical you view this
service... I've got ADSM set up with a dispatching priority just below TCPIP
(which has a high dispatching priority - about the same as VTAM)

2) Recovery log - Q LOG Format=Detailed gives a detailed report on your Log
Pool... check the Log Pool Pct. Wait: - if it isn't 0.00, increase
LOGPoolsize in your server options files.

3) Database - Q DB Format=Detailed gives a detailed report on you
Database... check the Cache Hit Pct and Cache Wait Pct... if the wait pct
isn't 0.00, consider increasing the BUFPoolsize.

4) DASD stuff - keep the Recovery Log and Database files on separate
physical volumes.  With 3990-3 controllers, caching isn't gonna buy you
anything (can even hurt).  3990-6 controllers with record level caching
might be a different story.

5) Background processing - try to run Expiration Processing, Migration, and
Reclamation at times that don't interfere with the client backups.
 Expiration processing is a CPU hog so I run it on weekends.  Migration is
run early in the morning and Reclamation is limited to 1 or 2 days a week
during the day.

Tim Pittson
pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com