ADSM-L

Re: Legato vs ADSM

1996-02-22 03:18:45
Subject: Re: Legato vs ADSM
From: Bud Porter <demb007 AT UABDPO.DPO.UAB DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 08:18:45 0600
In <960221222740_150323319 AT emout06.mail.aol DOT com>, on 02/21/96 at 10:27
PM,
   John O'Connell <JohnO10196 AT AOL DOT COM> said:

>       We converted from LEGATO to ADSM about 18 months ago.  There
>were a number of reasons we cut over some of them are:        Better
>performance ---
> our backup time was reduced by about half
>ADSM took full advantage of 3490 technology LEGATO would only use half
>of the cartridge.
>At the time ADSM could retain files that have been deleted off the
>system for 60 days -- (in our case) .  LEGATO wouldn't do this
>Restoring a file system is about 80% faster with ADSM over LEGATO

    Oh boy, this was the LAST thing I needed to hear. In my situation
here, the
    only machine I will have to use for a backup server will be a
SPARCServer
    1000E running Solaris 2.5. All other contenders being pretty much
equal, I've
    narrowed the product choice down to Solstice Backup (which is
really
    Sun Microsystems OEM version of Legato's Networker for Unix). I've
been foaming at
    the mouth to get a version of ADSM I can evaluate, but alas, I've
been told by
    my IBM reps that ADSM will not be supported as a server on Solaris
2.5 until
    4Q '96.
    Any words of wisdom (or consolation, after reading this), would be
appreciated.

Bud Porter
demb007 AT uabdpo.dpo.uab DOT edu