ADSM-L

Re: Legato vs ADSM

1996-02-22 07:35:09
Subject: Re: Legato vs ADSM
From: "Steven P. Roder" <TKSSTEVE AT UBVM.CC.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 07:35:09 EST
     On a similar vein, has anyone converted, or investigated converting
from EMC2's Epoch to ADSM?  We run Epoch to backup all our unix machines,
and I run ADSM on VM (off the consortium), mainly to backup my PC, and
now my unix workstation too.  Now that the epoch (unix) backups have
become my responsibility, I have convinced my manager that we should
consider switching to ADSM.  Can someone point me to the complete list
of supported hardware?  Does ADSM support DEC DLT4000 library units,
and the HP line of optical jukeboxes?  Also, I see a Solaris 2.4 Server
and client.  What about a 2.5 server and client?
     One last question (for now):  On my PC, to get a new FULL backup, I
can just change the label on the disk.  Is there anyway that I can force
a FULL backup of a unix client?  This could become a major issue, as we
currently (with epoch) do monthly full dumps of all machines, duplicate
the tapes used, and put one copy in an offsite vault.  Can ADSM produce
two copies of the output volumes as they are created?  Can you mirror
tape volumes, the way you can mirror the database volumes and logs?

I guess that was two questions, and I apologize, because I am sure all of
this has already been discussed.

Thanks,

Steve
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,