ADSM-L

Re: HSM for AFS???

1996-02-16 11:31:59
Subject: Re: HSM for AFS???
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:31:59 +0100
On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Norman W. Russell wrote:

>     We have an AFS cell that is about 2 Terabytes big with a lot of
> unreferenced data. Are there any plans to provide an HSM function for AFS
> within ADSM? If so, when? Or...does anyone know of another product that
> supports such a function?

I doubt that there are any such products or that ADSM will be enhanced in
this way.

We have also an AFS cell and are interested in HSM. The most promising
idea seems to be to migrate to DFS. The fact that DFS does not
necessarily come with its own file system but may use the native one
might open up easier ways to combine DFS with HSM. Up to now, these are
just dreams, however.

Best regards,

Helmut Richter

Dr. Helmut Richter
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum     X.400:  S=Richter;OU=lrz;P=lrz-muenchen;A=d400;C=de
Barer Str. 21            RFC822:  Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de
D-80333 Muenchen           Tel.:  ++49-89-2105-8785
Germany                     Fax:  ++49-89-2809460