ADSM-L

SCSI Library Errors

1996-02-16 11:56:16
Subject: SCSI Library Errors
From: Mike Knight <knightm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 11:56:16 EST
From: Mike Knight, DCS-East, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
Inet:                                       KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM

On 15 Feb 1996@15:36, Robert Jarry asked about:

>I get a single error in the system error log everytime ADSM mounts a tape
>from the scsi library. The error always occurs 55 seconds before ADSM
>successfully mounts the tape. The error is as follows:
>
>Resource Name: lb0
>Resourece Class: library
>Resource Type: ADSM-SCSI-LB
>Probable Cause: ATTACHED SCSI TARGET DEVICE

You need to decode the sense information to determine the actual error.  On our
Exabyte devices we use the Sense key in byte 2 bits 3-0, ASC in byte 12 and
ASCQ in byte 13 along with the command code.  These are often already broken
out in ADSM messages which is an easier way to go.  The meaning of the values
should be in the hardware vendor's documentation.

We used to get an "error" on every tape drive when it was unloaded.  The error
decoded as intervention required to remove the tape.  Since upgrading ADSM,
these are no longer reported.  We also get errors logged when opening the
door on the library, etc. and use the sense information to dismiss them.

         Mike (Not ADSM Support) Knight