ADSM-L

Re: volume usage

1996-02-15 12:41:04
Subject: Re: volume usage
From: "Joseph A. Faracchio" <SPGJAF AT CMSA.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 09:41:04 PST
On Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:52:29 +0100 Henk ten Have said:
>Hi,
>
>I have a simple question: is it possible to use the
>tape-volumes in a storagepool in a circular way?

Henk: you don't say whether you have ADSM manage the tape pool or
an 'outside' tape management facility. (is there such a thing on AIX?)

If its ADSM tape management then how about turning on the TAPE DELETION
exit (which is really only needed with an external tape management system)
and then issue the DELETE VOLUME command for the scratched/empty tape.

Then you just need some kind of logic to perform 'end of pool' conditions
in which all free tapes are added back in.

Or if you're an external tape manager then don't let it run the scratch
command until it runs out.
                           .. joe.f.