ADSM-L

Re: 3490e Tape and ADSM

1996-02-15 12:28:43
Subject: Re: 3490e Tape and ADSM
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:28:43 -0600
On Feb 15, 11:56am, Todd Mitchell wrote:
> Subject: Re: 3490e Tape and ADSM
> Susie
>
> Thanks for the information.  That sounds like a very workable solution.
 Another question - Do you recommend taking the initial
> backup straight to tape.  The first 'Incremental' will be the entire
server(s).  This will be quite a large backup and could be
> too large for the disk backuppool, am I thinking correctly here?  The
migration from disk to tape after each nightly ADSM
> incremental will clear the disk backuppool - right.
Todd
Yes, the first incremental backup of each client will be a "full" so will
be quite large.  For best throughput, I would still take it to a disk buffer
first and then off to tape.  Going directly to tape limits you to the
speed of the tape.  I would suggest that you "stage" each first backup --
that is do client A first, then client b, then c.....  If network traffic
is a problem during the day, you may want to do this off shift.  You can still
use that 10GB "nightly backup " disk pool to run the backups through on their
way to tapes- probably set your migration around 75% and you will see the
server start moving data to tape from disk, while it is still backing up the
client.
Susie McClure